Latest update as of May 19, 2024

  • The mask she had to endure for a year

    The mask she had to endure for a year

About this fundraiser

Hi my name is Paige and I am Zoey's mom.  I hope you have a minute to read our story.
Zoey was overjoyed to be spending the day with her sisters and me. It was going to be a girl’s day enjoying a dolphin cruise, and Zoey had been anxiously counting down the days for this rare treat!  The forecast called for clouds, but sunshine abounded and the afternoon could not have been more perfect for the duo.  
While passing the time before picking up her sisters before their great adventure, I had been pet sitting for a neighbor and she wanted me to come over to discuss a few new things she wanted me to do for the dogs while she was out of town. I was standing on the back porch chatting with the neighbor, the two dogs played nearby.  As Zoey tapped on the window to get her my attention, one of the dogs immediately attacked her, without warning and viciously. The male pit-bull yanked Zoey by her precious little face as I struggled to yank the animal off her. The dog was still attacking Zoey relentlessly and wouldn’t let go, so her I threw herself on top of Zoey, shielding my sweet girl from the continuous attack. As thoughts of losing my daughter spun through my mind, both pit-bulls continued to viciously attack me, causing life threatening wounds to both my daughter and myself.
We were transported to separate hospitals, Zoey underwent extensive surgery.
Zoey was transported to the best equipped hospital by helicopter and spent over 10 hours in the operating room while surgeons worked tirelessly to repair the many wounds the dogs left behind.  Along with other serious wounds, Zoey suffered from a shattered jaw and her eyelid had been completely torn off by the pit-bull.  My precious baby girl will continue to undergo surgeries in the future to repair the damages that remain, including skin grafting and eyelid reconstruction/lift. 
At another hospital, doctors worked to repair the wounds her I sustained. Specialists reattached part of my  ear that had been  ripped off. Doctors also repaired damages to my knee along with several gashes to my head all caused by the mauling.
For me, the several hours waiting for my daughter while she was undergoing her lengthy 10 hour surgery were the most grueling hours of my life. I had to wait for the news of my daughter’s condition, praying Zoey would survive.  Understandably, those hours are painful to relive in my mind.
We are ecstatic to report that although this attack was very recent and her wounds are still fresh, this brave young fighter is on the mend and out of physical pain!  Sweet Zoey still suffers extensive internal wounds which will take much longer to heal, but she gets through it by spending her days very close me and a sleeping in my bed at night for comfort

Organized by

Paige Woody

Crestview, FL, USA